To say 2012 was a big year for Yelp is an understatement. Our team members across the globe worked hard to make this year a momentous one for Yelp. Looking back on all we’ve accomplished, I’m even more excited to get started on 2013. Some moments from the past year worth remembering:
- Launching abroad in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Singapore, Poland and Turkey, bringing Yelp to a grand total of 20 countries
- Deepening our presence in the US with community efforts in metros like Albuquerque, Chicago North Shore, Atlanta OTP, Hampton Roads, Jacksonville, Oklahoma City and Buffalo
- Welcoming Qype to the Yelp team in October
- New tools and product releases including Yelpy Insights, new metrics for business owners, a homepage redesign, Yelp Gift Certificates and Yelp Menus
- Introducing our mobile app monetization efforts and seeing 45% of search traffic coming from mobile
- The Yelp IPO in March
- Integrations with Siri, Apple Maps and Bing local search
- Growing our Yelp employee count by almost 40% and opening a sales office in London
- The creation of the Yelp Foundation and its matching of employee donations to give more than $100,000 to charity
- Hitting a whopping 84 million monthly average unique visitors and seeing 8.2 million unique mobile devices use Yelp's mobile application on a monthly average basis during Q3 2012
That list is nothing to sneeze at, and I’m just skimming the surface! As we start into next year, we’ll work just as hard to bring you the best possible experience on Yelp, whether you are sitting at a desktop computer or out and about with your smartphone.
We look forward to spending time with the Yelp community and hope to see you online and at upcoming Yelp events in your city. Yelp wouldn’t be here without you and the local knowledge you’ve shared in over 33 million reviews to date.
I’m very proud of what our team has accomplished over the last year and am so thankful to be surrounded by people that share the same vision of connecting people with great local businesses.
So there you go, my moment of waxing poetic on 2012. Happy holidays everyone, and cheers to the new year!